A sporadically-updated music collection blog. Send questions to twitter or email me.

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Gnarwolves - Funemployed

Technology is ridiculous, isn't it? I pre-ordered this 7" from my phone sat on a train heading back to Stoke, frankly, because I could. I hadn't listened to Gnarwolves a lot but I know there's a lot of hype around them and it's a joint release between BSM and Tangled Talk, which makes it listenable at the very least.


The cover feels so very FUN PUNK to me. There's a skateboard and a boombox and a slingshot??? I don't understand. It's not really my kind of art style but it definitely has a strong identity so that's a plus for it. (note: I realise how utterly ridiculous this whole paragraph sounds but this isn't the usual kind of thing I write about so forgive me)


This I can get behind though, partially translucent tri-colour with a pizzagram on the label? Yes yes yes yes, excellent work. Nice inner sleeve for a 7", printed lyrics are always a plus as well. For you fans of pressing info, this is from the first pressing with this colourway being limited to 300. There was also a purple, green and blue splatter on white limited to 200. That sold out in about a day, so there was a second pressing limited to 500... which also sold out. Impressive. I'm not bothered enough to try to collect all the colours, pretty happy with this by itself to be honest.

My judgement of the cover, as it happens, was pretty accurate. This is definitely a fun punk 7", the four songs clocking in at a swift 10 minutes. They're brash, loud and pretty enjoyable. I don't think it's going to change my life or anything, but it's good. My favourite song is probably the first track, Melody Has Big Plans, mostly because of the excellent breakdown in the middle and the near-"bleh" towards the end. Yep, not much more to say here. I'll probably try and get their next release whenever it comes, so expect to see them crop up again in future (maybe I'll have more words to say about them then)

No comments:

Post a Comment