A sporadically-updated music collection blog. Send questions to twitter or email me.

Monday 2 May 2011

The Twilight Sad - Forget The Night Ahead

As writing my maths essay is getting painfully boring (and the amount of vinyl I'm yet to post here is increasing rapidly), I decided it was time to make a new post. And where better to start than with my latest purchase? This album is the latest from another wonderful band of Scotsmen, The Twilight Sad, and was released way back in 2009. I picked it up because it was a mere £10 in Rise on campus, and I had birthday money that obviously needed replacing with some big pieces of plastic.


Annnnd this is the cover. I don't quite understand it, and it's pretty creepy but the colour scheme is nice and it's eye-catching if nothing more.


Yep, it's a gatefold vinyl. This picture's pretty dreadful, but whatever. I really like the way the space has been used here. All the lyrics, some pretty weird pictures to match the cover and the predictable "thanks" lists set off to one said. It looks really good.


And here's our back cover and vinyl. Notice, it's a double-LP. I didn't realise this until I got home, at which point the £10 I paid for it seemed like even more of a bargain. Again, the colour scheme from the cover and interior is extended onto the back and even onto the labels themselves. The continuity here makes the whole thing feel like a more well-rounded "package", and I like that a lot. The dust-sleeves are good quality too, always a bonus.


Also worth noting is that Fat Cat, wonderful record label that they are, included a download code for the entire album written in a humourous style which definitely raised a smile. I've edited out the last few letters of the download code, so don't go trying to use it!

As for the music itself? I find it pretty difficult to describe TTS properly. The term bandied about most around them seems to be "shoegaze", so make of that what you will. It's effectively waves of noise with some lovely Scottish vocals over the top. After a couple of listens, I quite like the album although I think it'll take a few more listens before I can make a proper judgement. If you're interested, they have an 8-track acoustic EP for free on their blog in exchange for signing up to their mailing list. Give them a go.

In terms of pressing info, I can't find any numbers. Apparently there's a US version and a UK version though. I presume mine is the UK version, but I'll check when I'm at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment